Your infant is crying and you don’t know why. Your toddler refuses every kind of food–except one. Your preschooler wages war with you each morning over what to wear. Every day, parents struggle unsuccessfully to understand why their children act the way they do. Now child development expert Priscilla J. Dunstan breaks down those barriers to understanding with this revolutionary and accessible guide that teaches a new way of parenting–custom-designed for each child’s personality.
The product of eight years of groundbreaking research, this book will help you understand how your child interacts with the world. Dunstan begins from the premise that every child has his or her own dominant sensory “interface” with the world. Some children are highly sensitive to touch, others to sound or to sight. And some are unusually sensitive to all outside stimuli, especially taste and smell. This sensitivity affects how your child behaves, learns, and communicates from the very first days of life. Uncovering your child’s dominant sense–and knowing what your own dominant sense is–is essential for finding common ground and creating bonds of trust and intimacy with your child.
Use this book to
• take comprehensive “sense tests” to determine your child’s dominant sense–and your own
• understand how sensory overload plays out from infancy to age five, at home and in school
• learn why your child’s sensory personality shapes the way he or she instinctively reacts to new experiences and people
• appreciate the richness of your child’s emotional life, and help your child thrive in the outside world
For every parent who has ever looked at a child’s behavior and thought What is he trying to tell me?, Child Sense shows you how to find the answer.
From the Hardcover edition.
Ratings and Reviews
Be the first to rate and review this book!
You've already shared your review for this item. Thanks!
We are currently reviewing your submission. Thanks!
by Priscilla J. Dunstan
Share your thoughts
Tell readers what you thought by rating and reviewing this book.
Rate it *
Please make sure to choose a rating
Add a review* Required
How to write a great review
- Say what you liked best and least
- Describe the author's style
- Explain the rating you gave
- Use rude and profane language
- Include any personal information
- Mention spoilers or the book's price
- Recap the plot
(0) 50 characters minimum
The review must be at least 50 characters long.
The title should be at least 4 characters long.
Display Name *
Your display name should be at least 2 characters long.
Report a review
Would you like us to take another look at this review?
You've successfully reported this review. We appreciate your feedback.
by Priscilla J. Dunstan
Thanks for Sharing!
by on September 24, 2016
- Random House Publishing Group, October 2009
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: