The Ultralight Startup
Launching a Business Without Clout or Capital
“When I was first starting out, I had to learn many things by trial and error, and I know I could have saved myself a lot of grief if someone had given me advice on what to do. I hope this book will help and inspire you to pursue your passion while avoiding some of the mistakes I made.”
It’s easier than ever before to launch a startup. But in a world where barriers to entry are virtually nonexistent and everyone wants to be the next Facebook, competition is fierce. If you’re just beginning and lack the money and clout to make an automatic splash, how do you differentiate yourself from all the rest?
Jason Baptiste knows firsthand what it takes. After launching his first company while still in college, he cofounded his current venture, Onswipe, in his early twenties, turning it into a multimillion-dollar company in less than a year. Now, drawing on his own experience as a bootstrapping but hungry entrepreneur, as well as on examples from today’s most famous companies, he guides would-be tech moguls through every stage of the process—from testing a concept to acquiring customers to determining the best pricing model—in a cheap, practical way. Among his strategies:
• Build the product you wish you had: Foursquare founder Dennis Crowley created an early version of his product because he wanted to keep in touch with former colleagues.
• It doesn’t have to be sexy to make money: Dropbox took the world by storm by offering a great solution to a mundane problem—online storage.
• Be bold when promoting yourself: Online payment service WePay capitalized on dissatisfaction with industry leader PayPal by dumping six hundred pounds of ice in front of a developer conference.
• Attract fans to attract customers: Budget tracking site Mint.com created its initial user base by offering original and useful content about personal finance.
Baptiste shows you don’t need an MBA, a trust fund, or even experience running your own company to become a star in the tech world. The Ultralight Startup is a comprehensive, easy-to-follow guide that will prepare any entrepreneur to take his or her idea to the next level.
- Penguin Publishing Group, April 2012
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: