Teaching Kids to Read For Dummies
by Tracey Wood
You’re thinking of teaching a child to read. What a great idea! Now all you need is exactly the right blueprint. This easy-to-follow book is written with two people in mind; you, and the child you’re thinking of teaching. Mother and children’s reading specialist Tracey Wood gives you all the down-to-earth, honest information you need to give a child a happy, solid start with reading.
Teaching Kids to Read For Dummies is for parents of young children who want to give their kids a head start by teaching them to read before they enter school or to supplement their children’s school instruction, as well as teachers and caregivers of young children. Filled with hands-on activities that progress a child from sounds to words to sentences to books, this friendly guide shows you how to:
- Prepare a child to read
- Sharpen his listening skills
- Correct her errors graciously
- Choose the right books
- Have kids read out loud
- Find help if you need it
Whether the child you want to teach is two or twelve; fast paced or steady; an absolute beginner or someone who’s begun but could use a little help, this empathetic book shows you how to adapt the simple, fun activities to your child’s individual needs. You’ll see how to make activities age appropriate, how to add more challenge or support, and how to make gender allowances if that’s relevant.
Plus, you’ll discover how to:
- Lay the foundation for good reading skills
- Tell the difference between a reading delay and a reading problem
- Help your child build words from letters and sounds, advance to short and long vowel words, and conquer syllables and silent letters
- Select entertaining workbooks, recycle them, and make up your own reading activities
- Get your child ready for sentences
- Keep your child reading — with others or on his own
Complete with lists of word families, phonics rules, and reading resources, Teaching Kids to Read For Dummies will help you make learning fun for your child as he or she develops this critical skill!
- Wiley, April 2011
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: