Three Essential Keys to Solve Problems, Innovate, and Get Things Done
When you understand how the mind works, you can think smarter—and act smarter.
Based on the precepts of cognitive science and drawing on a half century of interdisciplinary studies, Smart Thinking is the first book to reveal a three-part formula that distinguishes Smart Thinking from innate intelligence and shows how memory works, how to learn effectively, and how to use knowledge when you need to get things done.
Beginning with defining the difference between Smart Thinking and innate or raw intelligence, cognitive psychologist Art Markman demonstrates how it is possible to learn Smart Thinking that you can apply to the real world.
This engaging and practical book introduces a three-part formula for Smart Thinking, which demonstrates how anyone can:
• Develop Smart Habits
• Acquire High-Quality Knowledge
• Use High-Quality Knowledge when needed
Smart Thinking explores each part of the Smart Thinking formula and provides:
• An understanding of how the mind works and the means to replace self-limiting habits with those that foster Smart Thinking
• Insights into how memory functions and how to improve the quality of what you learn
• Ways to present new information effectively
• Specific techniques for improving your understanding of how the world works
• The ability to define and solve problems by finding the relevant knowledge from any area of expertise and applying it effectively
Drawing on multiple research disciplines, including psychology, artificial intelligence, philosophy, neuroscience, learning sciences, linguistics, anthropology, sociology, and education, Markman provides insights into the functioning of the mind and synthesizes this understanding into practical tools and exercises that develop new skills and achieve personal goals. The book culminates in tips for creating a Culture of Smart to make everyone in an organization more effective.
Ratings and Reviews
Be the first to review this book!
You've already shared your review for this item. Thanks!
We are currently reviewing your submission. Thanks!
by Art Markman, PhD
Share your thoughts
Tell readers what you thought by rating and reviewing this book.
Rate it *
Please make sure to choose a rating
Add a review* Required
How to write a great review
- Say what you liked best and least
- Describe the author's style
- Explain the rating you gave
- Use rude and profane language
- Include any personal information
- Mention spoilers or the book's price
- Recap the plot
(0) 50 characters minimum
The review must be at least 50 characters long.
The title should be at least 4 characters long.
Display Name *
Your display name should be at least 2 characters long.
Report a review
Would you like us to take another look at this review?
You've successfully reported this review. We appreciate your feedback.
by Art Markman, PhD
Thanks for Sharing!
by on September 27, 2016
- Penguin Publishing Group, January 2012
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: