Theory and Practice
- List Price$65.95
- Your price$59.39
Save $6.56 (10% off) and earn Kobo Super Points!
You'll see how many points you'll earn before checking out. We'll award them after completing your purchase.
Or, get it for 27200 Kobo Super Points!
See if you have enough points for this eBook. Sign in
To fully understand photography, it is essential to study both the theoretical and the technical.
In an accessible yet complex way, Rebekah Modrak and Bill Anthes explore photographic theory, history and technique to bring photographic education up-to-date with contemporary photographic practice. Reframing Photography is a broad and inclusive rethinking of photography that will inspire students to think about the medium across time periods, across traditional themes, and through varied materials. Intended for both beginners and advanced students, and for art and non-art majors, and practicing artists, Reframing Photography compellingly represents four concerns common to all photographic practice:
- reproductive processes
- editing/ presentation/ evaluation.
Each part includes an extensive and thoughtful essay, providing a broad cultural context for each topic, alongside discussion of photographic examples. Essays introduce the work of artists who use a diverse range of subject matter and a variety of processes (straight photography, social documentary, digital, mixed media, conceptual work, etc.), examine artists' conceptual and technical choices, describe cultural implications and artistic influences, and analyze how these concerns interrelate. Following each essay, each part continues with a "how-to" section that describes a fascinating range of related photographic equipment, materials and methods through concise explanations and clear diagrams.
- case studies featuring profiles of contemporary and historical artists
- glossary definitions of critical and technical vocabulary to aid learning
- ‘how to’ sections provide students with illustrated, step by step guides to different photographic methods, alongside related theory
- fully up-to-date, with both high and low tech suggestions for activities
- online resources at: www.routledge.com/textbooks/reframingphotography will update information on equipment and provide further activities, information and links to related sites
- lavishly illustrated, with over 750 images, including artists’ work and examples of photographic processes.
Ratings and Reviews
Be the first to rate and review this book!
You've already shared your review for this item. Thanks!
We are currently reviewing your submission. Thanks!
by Rebekah Modrak,Bill Anthes
Share your thoughts
Tell readers what you thought by rating and reviewing this book.
Rate it *
Please make sure to choose a rating
Add a review* Required
How to write a great review
- Say what you liked best and least
- Describe the author's style
- Explain the rating you gave
- Use rude and profane language
- Include any personal information
- Mention spoilers or the book's price
- Recap the plot
(0) 50 characters minimum
The review must be at least 50 characters long.
The title should be at least 4 characters long.
Display Name *
Your display name should be at least 2 characters long.
Report a review
Would you like us to take another look at this review?
You've successfully reported this review. We appreciate your feedback.
by Rebekah Modrak,Bill Anthes
Thanks for Sharing!
by on October 22, 2016
- Taylor and Francis, November 2010
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: