If you think Knoppix is just a Linux demo disk, think again. Klaus Knopper created an entire Linux distribution on a bootable CD (and now a DVD) so he could use his favorite open source tools on any computer. This book includes a collection of tips and techniques for using the enormous amount of software Knoppix offers-not just to work and play, but also to troubleshoot, repair, upgrade, and disinfect your system without having to install a thing.
Knoppix Hacks is just like the distribution it covers: a veritable Swiss Army knife packed full of tools. Scores of industrial-strength hacks-many of them new to this second edition-cover both the standard Knoppix CD and the feature-rich DVD "Maxi" distribution, which is included with this book. Discover how to use Knoppix to its full potential as your desktop, rescue CD, or as a launching point for your own live CD.
With Knoppix Hacks, you can:
- Investigate features of the KDE desktop and its Internet applications
- Save your settings and data between reboots with persistent storage
- Employ Knoppix as a system administration multitool to replace failed servers and more
- Use the CD/DVD as a rescue disc to repair filesystems or a system that won't boot
- Rescue Windows systems with Knoppix to back up files and settings, hack the registry, and more
- Explore other live CDs based on Knoppix that could augment your system
- Easily install the popular Debian GNU/Linux distribution with all of your hardware detected and configured
- Remaster Knoppix to include your favorite software and custom branding
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: