Heat and Light
Advice for the Next Generation of Journalists
In Heat & Light, a legendary journalist and a journalism professor join forces to offer a one-of-a-kind guide for our next generation of great journalists. Drawing on the authors' decades of experience at the top of the field and inspired directly by beginners’ most frequently asked questions, Heat & Light offers invaluable advice on such topics as:
· balancing drama and information (‘heat’ vs. ‘light’)
· generating and evaluating story ideas
· the secrets to crafting good ledes
· creating strong packages for the internet, tv, and radio
· the specific requirements of writing for print and broadcast
· the art of the interview
Along the way, the authors share countless anecdotes from their own storied careers—and discuss larger questions such as the rapidly growing role of digital media and what it means for today’s aspiring journalists.
Includes an extensive "reporter’s toolbox" of checklists, techniques, and resources
From the Trade Paperback edition.
- Crown/Archetype, July 2010
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: