Fit to Fight
An Insanely Effective Strength and Conditioning Program for the Ultimate MMA Warrior
The ultimate strength and conditioning book for ultimate fighters.
Mixed martial arts (MMA) is America's fastest-growing combat sport, with millions signing up for MMA classes and many more tuning in to "pay-per-view" to watch events with names like "Cage Rage" and "No Limit." MMA is not for wimps, and participants take a real pounding-they must be ready for anything. However, there is one way to predict a winner in any bout: conditioning. When facing an opponent with equal technical skill, the better-conditioned athlete will win-every match, every round, every time.
Now, with amateur fight leagues springing up across the country, top conditioning coach Jason Ferruggia reveals the ultimate conditioning program for the ultimate fighter. By gaining overall strength, stamina, speed, and flexibility, athletes can substantially reduce their risk of injury in this intense contact sport.
The key to Ferruggia's system is his emphasis on matspecific conditioning techniques. Too many would-be fighters use training programs borrowed from football or bodybuilding-methods that are all wrong for MMA. Included are:
- A first-rate warm-up guaranteed to make a fighter more explosive and to reduce injuries
- Off-the-charts strength-building secrets
- Dozens of exercises to develop crushing grip strength - Top speed-building methods, including Olympic lifts, plyometrics, and throws
- Incredibly effective exercises for building a thick, powerful neck that could be the difference between victory and serious injury
Each exercise is accompanied by black-and-white photos illustrating proper technique and form, and "Inside the Cage" tips share the secrets to success from top professional fighters.
- Penguin Publishing Group, April 2008
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: