Calculations for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
A Guide to Mathematics in the Laboratory 2e
- List Price$72.95
- Your price$65.69
Save $7.26 (10% off) and earn Kobo Super Points!
You'll see how many points you'll earn before checking out. We'll award them after completing your purchase.
Or, get it for 30000 Kobo Super Points!
See if you have enough points for this eBook. Sign in
Calculations for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology: A Guide to Mathematics in the Laboratory, Second Edition, provides an introduction to the myriad of laboratory calculations used in molecular biology and biotechnology.
The book begins by discussing the use of scientific notation and metric prefixes, which require the use of exponents and an understanding of significant digits. It explains the mathematics involved in making solutions; the characteristics of cell growth; the multiplicity of infection; and the quantification of nucleic acids. It includes chapters that deal with the mathematics involved in the use of radioisotopes in nucleic acid research; the synthesis of oligonucleotides; the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) method; and the development of recombinant DNA technology. Protein quantification and the assessment of protein activity are also discussed, along with the centrifugation method and applications of PCR in forensics and paternity testing.
* Topics range from basic scientific notations to complex subjects like nucleic acid chemistry and recombinant DNA technology
* Each chapter includes a brief explanation of the concept and covers necessary definitions, theory and rationale for each type of calculation
* Recent applications of the procedures and computations in clinical, academic, industrial and basic research laboratories are cited throughout the text
New to this Edition:
* Updated and increased coverage of real time PCR and the mathematics used to measure gene expression
* More sample problems in every chapter for readers to practice concepts
- Elsevier Science, July 2010
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: