Britannia in Brief
The Scoop on All Things British
When it comes to Britain, most Americans don’t know (Union) Jack. Fortunately, now an Anglo-American husband-and-wife team are here to help with a smart, funny, and handy guide that minds the gap between fact and fiction. From Whigs and Windsors to wankers and Wales, this spit-spot-on reference covers all manner of British history, society, culture, language, and everyday life, including
• the class system, title envy, and a thumbnail sketch of British dynasties
• highlights of the social season (yes, they have a social season)
• Parliament, prime ministers, and a wild variety of political parties
• British sports 101, including football (by which we mean soccer), cricket, rugby, snooker, and darts
• answers to the pressing question: What’s on the telly?
• British culinary delights, from Marmite to late-night tikka masala
• odd pronunciations (e.g., how “St. John” becomes “Sin Jun”)
• cockney slang, or why you should never get caught “telling porkies on the dog”
• Londoners’ pride in the Tube and the truth about trainspotting
So whether you’re traveling to England on business or for pleasure, dating a Brit, hoping to comfort a homesick Londoner (whip up a treacle tart, recipe included), or simply curious about life across the pond, Britannia in Brief is the perfect companion.
From the Trade Paperback edition.
- Random House Publishing Group, May 2009
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: