The Philanthropy of George Soros
Building Open Societies
- helping to topple communism in eastern Europe and the Soviet Union and attempting to foster civil society in China
- initiating and nurturing global and local organizations fighting to overcome the driver of war, repression, and corruption in oil- and blood-diamond states
- helping Sarajevo’s people endure three years of siege during the Bosnian War
- fighting resistant strains of TB in Russia’s jails and Lesotho’s mountains before the disease can devastate the world’s great cities
- undertaking the first attempt in history to help Europe’s most downtrodden people lift themselves from poverty and segregation
- supporting democratic resistance in Burma and building communities in Haiti’s roughest slums
- applying new methods for fighting poverty and drug addiction and reforming dysfunctional justice systems in Baltimore, New Orleans, and other U.S. cities.
The Philanthropy of George Soros reveals the thought and practice behind a lesser-known dimension of this remarkable man’s life, his goals for society, and his underlying vision for the future.
- PublicAffairs, May 2011
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: