The Concise New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English
- List Price$88.95
- Your price$80.09
Save $8.86 (10% off) and earn Kobo Super Points!
You'll see how many points you'll earn before checking out. We'll award them after completing your purchase.
Or, get it for 36400 Kobo Super Points!
See if you have enough points for this eBook. Sign in
The Concise New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English presents all the slang terms from The New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English in a single volume.
Containing over 60,000 entries, this concise new edition of the authoritative work details the slang and unconventional English of from around the English-speaking world since 1945, and through the first decade of the new millennium, with the same thorough, intense, and lively scholarship that characterized Partridge’s own work.
Unique, exciting and, at times, hilariously shocking, key features include:
- unprecedented coverage of World English, with equal prominence given to American and British English slang, and entries included from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, India, South Africa, Ireland, and the Caribbean
- emphasis on post-World War II slang and unconventional English
- dating information for each headword
- in the tradition of Partridge, commentary on the term’s origins and meaning.
New to this second edition:
- a new preface noting slang trends of the last eight years
- over 1,000 new entries from the US, UK and Australia, reflecting important developments in language and culture
- new terms from the language of social networking from a range of digital communities including texting, blogs, Facebook, Twitter and online forums
- many entries now revised to include new dating and new glosses, ensuring maximum accuracy of content.
The Concise New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English is a spectacular resource infused with humour and learning – it’s rude, it’s delightful, and it’s a prize for anyone with a love of language.
- Taylor and Francis, November 2014
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: