Though beef, poultry, and fish all have their place in Southern cuisine, one animal stands snout and shoulders above the rest—the mighty pig. From bacon to barbecue, from pork loin to pork belly, James Villas's Pig: King of the Southern Table presents the pride of the South in all its glory. 300 mouth-watering recipes range from the basics like sausages, ribs, and ham to creative ideas involving hashes, burgers, gumbos, and casseroles.
A North Carolina native, Villas doesn't just provide great pork recipes but also brings the spirit of Southern cooking alive with tasty cultural and historical tidbits and favorite recipes from beloved restaurants like Louis Osteen's on Pawley's Island and Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill. With gorgeous full-color photography and recipes from Maryland to Louisiana and everywhere in between, Pig is the definitive take on the South's favorite animal.
- Includes 300 recipes for pork dishes of all kinds, including appetizers, soups, sides, rice dishes, and even breads
- Features recipes like Cajun Boudin Rice Sausage, Bacon-Wrapped Pork Loin with Dates and Walnuts, Mississippi Spice-Stuffed Baked Ham, and Collard Greens with Pork Belly
- Offers more than just recipes—the book includes a pig-parts primer, a glossary of pig cooking terms, and cooking tips and sidebars throughout
- Written by James Villas, winner of two James Beard Journalism Awards and former food and wine editor of Town & Country magazine for 27 years
Whether you're planning the perfect summer barbecue or just looking for new ideas for family dinners, Pig shares the secrets of great Southern cooking with every corner of the nation.
Ratings and Reviews
Be the first to rate and review this book!
You've already shared your review for this item. Thanks!
We are currently reviewing your submission. Thanks!
by James Villas
Share your thoughts
Tell readers what you thought by rating and reviewing this book.
Rate it *
Please make sure to choose a rating
Add a review* Required
How to write a great review
- Say what you liked best and least
- Describe the author's style
- Explain the rating you gave
- Use rude and profane language
- Include any personal information
- Mention spoilers or the book's price
- Recap the plot
(0) 50 characters minimum
The review must be at least 50 characters long.
The title should be at least 4 characters long.
Display Name *
Your display name should be at least 2 characters long.
Report a review
Would you like us to take another look at this review?
You've successfully reported this review. We appreciate your feedback.
by James Villas
Thanks for Sharing!
by on October 26, 2016
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, January 2011
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: