Romanesque Churches of Puglia
RECENTLY UPDATED! With more than 40 high-resolution images, detailed site profiles and an architectural style guide, this is the definitive guide to Puglia’s Romanesque churches. (2015)
Travel guidebooks for the ultra curious, Approach Guides reveal a destination’s essence by exploring a compelling aspect of its cultural heritage: art, architecture, history, food, or wine.
The Romanesque churches of Puglia (Apulia) are a highlight of any visit to South Italy. These churches were constructed during a Crusade-inspired boom period under the auspices of the Normans who unified control of the area from 1031 to 1194. They are yours to discover.
What’s in this guidebook
- Architecture review. Puglia’s Romanesque architectural style uniquely blends elements of the Eastern and Western architectural traditions. To get at its unique qualities, this guidebook begins by providing a thorough review of the classic Italian Romanesque architectural style that prevailed through much of the mainland. It then lays out the unique characteristics that the style assumes in the churches of Puglia, as it was infused with the region’s historical Byzantine (Eastern Orthodox) and Saracen (Islamic) building architectural traditions. To make things come alive, we have packed our review with high-resolution images.
- Tour of the highlights. Following our tradition of being the most valuable resource for culture-focused travelers, we tour the most iconic Romanesque city churches in Puglia: Bari, Bitonto, Manfredonia, Molfetta, Ruvo di Puglia, Trani and Troia. For each, we reveal its most important architectural and decorative features and provide a discussion that ties it all together.
- Castel del Monte. And, as an extra, this guidebook includes a comprehensive profile of Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II’s masterful Castel del Monte, which is easily reached and makes for an exciting addition to this church tour.
- Advice for getting the best cultural experience. To help you plan your visit, this guidebook supplies logistical advice, maps and links to online resources. Plus, we give our personal tips for getting the most from your experience while on location.
- Information the way you like it. As with all of our guides, this book is optimized for intuitive, quick navigation; information is organized into bullet points to make absorption easy; and images are marked up with text that explains important features.
One of the benefits of eBooks is that we can easily update content and release new editions of our guidebooks. These updates are free for existing customers. Please visit http://approachguides.com/updates for a list of recently updated guides and instructions on downloading the new version.
PRAISE FOR APPROACH GUIDES
Compulsive (and compulsively informed) travelers, the Raezers are the masterminds behind the downloadable Approach Guides, which are filled with a university course-worth of history and insights for 62 destinations worldwide. WHY WE LOVE IT: The Raezers share our desire for deep, well-researched information on the wonders of the world.
- Travel + Leisure
What started as one couple’s travel notes aimed at filling in the gaps in guidebooks has become ApproachGuides.com — a menu of downloadable travel guides that cover cultural and historical topics of interest to thoughtful travelers. What’s hot: Bite-sized travel guides that specialize in topics ranging from 29 pages on the foods of Italy to one that helps you explore the historical and architectural significance of Angkor’s famous temple structures in Cambodia.
- LA Times
- Approach Guides, September 2014
- Download options:
- EPUB 3 (DRM-Free)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: