Evidence and Skills for Normal Labour and Birth
A Guide for Midwives
by Denis Walsh
- List Price$54.95
- Your price$49.49
Save $5.46 (10% off) and earn Kobo Super Points!
Or, get it for 22800 Kobo Super Points!
See if you have enough points for this eBook. Sign in
Evidence-based care is a well established principle in contemporary healthcare and a worldwide health care movement. However, despite the emphasis on promoting evidence-based or effective care without the unnecessary use of technologies and drugs, intervention rates in childbirth continue to rise rapidly.
This new edition emphasises the importance of translating evidence into skilful practice. It updates the evidence around what works best for normal birth, aspects of which still remain hidden and ignored by some maternity care professionals. Beginning with the decision about where to have a baby, through all the phases of labour to the immediate post-birth period, it systematically details research and other evidence sources that endorse a low intervention approach. The second edition:
- has been expanded with new chapters on Preparation for Childbirth and Waterbirth
- highlights where the evidence is compelling
- discusses its application where women question its relevance to them and where the practitioner's expertise leads them to challenge it
- gives background and context before discussing the research to date
- includes questions for reflection, skills sections and practice recommendations generated from the evidence.
Using evidence drawn from a variety of sources, Evidence and Skills for Normal Labour and Birth critiques institutionalised, scientifically managed birth and endorses a more humane midwifery-led model. Packed with up-to-date and relevant information, this text will help all students, practising midwives and doulas keep abreast of the evidence surrounding normal birth and ensure their practice takes full advantage of it.
- Taylor and Francis, November 2011
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: