Social Policy in Europe and the United States
- List Price$34.99
- Your price$31.49
Save $3.50 (10% off) and earn Kobo Super Points!
You'll see how many points you'll earn before checking out. We'll award them after completing your purchase.
Or, get it for 14800 Kobo Super Points!
See if you have enough points for this eBook. Sign in
In Double Standard, James W. Russell shows how and why different models of social and welfare policy developed in the United States and Europe. The third edition comparatively examines how Europe and the United States have handled common social problems such as poverty, inequality, unemployment, family support, health care provision, ethnic and racial conflict, and crime. These different social policy orientations have produced disparate social ways of life, ways of life that are now in contention for the future of Western societies.
Retaining its exceptionally clear exposition of the relationship between social policy and the history of social thought, social theory, and political ideology, the third edition contains new material on:
- The Affordable Care Act in the United States compared to European health care programs
- The influence of Milton Friedman on the reduction of social spending and privatization of social programs
- Paid vacation differences between Europe and the United States
- A new Afterword on the continuing social effects of the 2008 recession (the “Great Recession”) in Europe and the United States
- A thorough updating of statistical information
The third edition of Double Standard is a thought-provoking and up-to-date exploration of the distinctive differences in social policy in the U.S. and Europe that helps students approach key issues through a new perspective.
Ratings and Reviews
Be the first to rate and review this book!
You've already shared your review for this item. Thanks!
We are currently reviewing your submission. Thanks!
by James W. Russell
Share your thoughts
Tell readers what you thought by rating and reviewing this book.
Rate it *
Please make sure to choose a rating
Add a review* Required
How to write a great review
- Say what you liked best and least
- Describe the author's style
- Explain the rating you gave
- Use rude and profane language
- Include any personal information
- Mention spoilers or the book's price
- Recap the plot
(0) 50 characters minimum
The review must be at least 50 characters long.
The title should be at least 4 characters long.
Display Name *
Your display name should be at least 2 characters long.
Report a review
Would you like us to take another look at this review?
You've successfully reported this review. We appreciate your feedback.
by James W. Russell
Thanks for Sharing!
by on October 23, 2016
- Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, June 2014
Rowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Download options:
- EPUB 3 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: