Ubuntu Unleashed 2011 Edition presents advanced coverage of the popular Ubuntu distribution of Linux. Windows users, Mac users, and Linux enthusiasts have been increasingly turning to Ubuntu for a user-friendly and easy-to-use Linux distribution that remains useful to power users.
This book provides detailed information on installing, using, and administering Ubuntu. You will learn how to set up a workstation or a server, details on Ubuntu’s easy-to-use desktop and productivity software, and you will find topics of interest to both casual and serious developers.
Ubuntu Unleashed 2011 Edition includes a range of coverage: From the software you need everyday for productivity and enjoyment, to how to configure your Linux desktop to run smoothly, to advanced topics like systems administration and software development, and much more.
Some books excel at helping beginners take baby steps. There is some beginning material in Ubuntu Unleashed 2011 Edition. However, this book is intended for anyone who wants to move beyond the basics of using Ubuntu into the realm of an intermediate or advanced user.
- Install and configure Ubuntu
- Get all your system’s devices and peripherals up and running
- Configure and customize your graphic user interface
- Manage Linux services and users
- Secure your machine and your network from intruders
- Configure a firewall
- Share files with Windows users using Samba
- Get productive with office tools
- Use multimedia programs
- Play games
- Set up and run various types of servers
- Learn the basics of several programming languages
- Learn how to write a software application quickly
- Participate in Ubuntu QA testing
- Tune your system for maximum performance
- Learn to manage and compile the kernel and modules
Ubuntu 10.10 on DVD
DVD includes the full Ubuntu 10.10 distribution for Intel x86 computers as well as the complete OpenOffice.org office suite and hundreds of additional programs and utilities.
Purchase this book anytime in 2011 and receive a free Ubuntu 11.04 Upgrade Kit by mail (U.S. or Canada only) after Ubuntu 11.04 is released.
See inside back cover for details.
Category: Operating Systems/Linux
Covers: Ubuntu 10.10
User Level: Intermediate—Advanced
Read This On
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: