From a job in the mail room at EMI Music Publishing Cowell rose through the ranks swiftly and after becoming a record producer at the firm, left to set up his own company. Following the collapse of his first business and a time at BMG, Cowell went on to pioneer the Popstars TV talent show, and subsequently co-produce Pop Idol and more recently The X Factor. As a music producer he has achieved sales of over 25 million albums, over 70 top 30 records, and 17 Number 1 singles. His band 'Westlife' has achieved an impressive 10 Number 1 hits alone.
The Sunday Times Rich List recently estimated that he earned £33.5m in one year alone, thanks to the global success of the 'Pop Idol' brand.
The 10 Secrets of the International Music Mogul are:
- Work Your Way Up – get to know your industry
- Don’t Be Defeated – how to overcome set backs in business
- Grab Opportunities – respond to the market
- Know Your Market – and consistently produce the product they want
- Think Differently – take your product and spin it in different formats
- Get Your Name on the Credits – and reap the rewards
- Don’t Look Back – learn from missed opportunities but keep moving forwards
- Say it How It Is – straight talking saves time in business
- Build a Personal Brand – and be respected for what you do well if nothing else
- Use Your Contacts – there is no shame to pulling strings in business
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: