You’re thinking of teaching a child to read. What a greatidea! Now all you need is exactly the right blueprint. Thiseasy-to-follow book is written with two people in mind; you, andthe child you’re thinking of teaching. Mother andchildren’s reading specialist Tracey Wood gives you all thedown-to-earth, honest information you need to give a child a happy,solid start with reading.
Teaching Kids to Read For Dummies is for parents of youngchildren who want to give their kids a head start by teaching themto read before they enter school or to supplement theirchildren’s school instruction, as well as teachers andcaregivers of young children. Filled with hands-on activities thatprogress a child from sounds to words to sentences to books, thisfriendly guide shows you how to:
- Prepare a child to read
- Sharpen his listening skills
- Correct her errors graciously
- Choose the right books
- Have kids read out loud
- Find help if you need it
Whether the child you want to teach is two or twelve; fast pacedor steady; an absolute beginner or someone who’s begun butcould use a little help, this empathetic book shows you how toadapt the simple, fun activities to your child’s individualneeds. You’ll see how to make activities age appropriate, howto add more challenge or support, and how to make gender allowancesif that’s relevant.
Plus, you’ll discover how to:
- Lay the foundation for good reading skills
- Tell the difference between a reading delay and a readingproblem
- Help your child build words from letters and sounds, advance toshort and long vowel words, and conquer syllables and silentletters
- Select entertaining workbooks, recycle them, and make up yourown reading activities
- Get your child ready for sentences
- Keep your child reading — with others or on his own
Complete with lists of word families, phonics rules, and readingresources, Teaching Kids to Read For Dummies will help youmake learning fun for your child as he or she develops thiscritical skill!
Read This On
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: