Why are we able to recognize melodies in our first days of life? Why does making music actually switch off the genes that signal stress? It is because music is part of who we are at the deepest leveland we don't need any special talent or training to harness its power to enhance our lives. With Music Medicine, music therapist Christine Stevens presents an information-packed resource, filled with scientifically-based practices for accessing and attuning to the natural healing properties of music. Drawing from a wealth of research and her own pioneering healing work in some of the most challenging places around the world, Stevens invites you to discover:
- Accessing the four elements of music-rhythm as medicine for the body, melody for the heart, harmony for the soul, and silence for the mind
- Conscious listening-how to open yourself fully to the healing potential that music offers
- Your musical self-accessing your voice, spirit, and inner music for healing and change
- Clinical research, case studies, and stories that reveal music's extraordinary capacity to reduce stress, prevent illness, and strengthen the immune system
- How music connects us to each other and creates community, even in places of war and conflict
- Inspirational guidance on how to use music for spirituality, personal growth, and well-being
- Healing playlists-each chapter features valuable download recommendations and links for selecting healing music
- The drum massage, creating your power song, full-body listening, and other effective and enjoyable practices
Music's medicine awaits your discovery, says Christine Stevens. I invite you to release any doubts that you are musical, and to realize the power of music to nourish your body, mind, heart, and soul. With Music Medicine, she provides a thoroughly researched and practical guide for integrating the healing benefits of sound into your life-and discovering the extraordinary transformation that occurs when we liberate our own inner music.
Music can provide the support we need in life's challenging moments, and more importantly, music can become part of our daily routine for spirituality and health. Enjoy this powerful path for your own healing-through the joy, and the great peace, of music.
Joan Borysenko, PhD, from the foreword of Music Medicine
Music Medicine brings home to our hearts the truth that music is an organic medicine. Christine Stevens reveals how the intricate beauty of harmony, rhythm, and song course through our veins, uniting us with the cosmic music of the universe.
Michael Bernard Beckwith, author of Life Visioning and Spiritual Liberation
Music Medicine is an interstate of sound that awakens, soothes, dances, and silences us.
Don Campbell, author of The Mozart Effect and The Harmony of Health
Each of Christine's lessons has helped me to become a musical instrument and a singer of my own song.
Bernie Siegel, MD, author of Love, Medicine, and Miracles
In this book, Christine provides a powerful and educational curriculum for music therapists, musicians, and anyone interested in music wellness. Music becomes the language to unite and heal across the continents.
Antoinette Follett, Editor-in-Chief, Making Music
Read This On
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: