More titles to consider

Shopping Cart

itemsitem

Synopsis

Incorporated on February 28, 1774, Ludlow, Massachusetts, was originally a part of Springfield. The origin of the name remains a mystery, though the most probable explanation is that it was named afterRoger Ludlow, an early prominent New England citizen who played a great part in building up the town and taking care of its citizens. The Ludlow Manufacturing Company, formed around 1900 by Charles T. Hubbard, helped shape the town by providing housing, a library, schools, playgrounds, and even a clubhouse for the diverse community. Ludlow was home to many sawmills and gristmills, utilizing the power from the several sources of water nearby, including the Chicopee River, Broad Brook, Higher Brook, and Stony Brook. The town is most noted, however, for its factory mills and production of jute yarns, twine, and webbing. Less well known was the glass-making business that was prevalent in the early 1800s. John Sikes manufactured glass bottles andother glassware and the Ludlow Manufacturing Company glass works operated for only a short time before closing in the depression years following the War of 1812. Today, Ludlow remains a culturally diversecommunity made up of Portuguese, Polish, French, and Irish residents, just to name a few.

People who read this also enjoyed

Get a 1 year subscription
for / issue

You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices:

  • DESKTOP
  • eREADERS
  • TABLETS
  • IOS
  • ANDROID
  • BLACKBERRY
  • WINDOWS