Since the launch of the App Store, games have been the hottest category of apps for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. That means your best chance of tapping into the iPhone/iPad “Gold Rush” is to put out a killer game that everyone wants to play (and talk about). While many people think games are hard to build, they can actually be quite easy, and Learning iOS Game Programming is your perfect beginner’s guide. Michael Daley walks you through every step as you build a killer 2D game for the iPhone.
In Learning iOS Game Programming, you’ll learn how to build a 2D tile map game, Sir Lamorak’s Quest: The Spell of Release (which is free in the App Store). You can download and play the game you’re going to build while you learn about the code and everything behind the scenes. Daley identifies the key characteristics of a successful iPhone game and introduces the technologies, terminology, and tools you will use. Then, he carefully guides you through the whole development process: from planning storylines and game play all the way through testing and tuning.
Download the free version of Sir Lamorak’s Quest from the App Store today, while you learn how to build the game in this book.
- Planning high-level game design, components, and difficulty levels
- Using game loops to make sure the right events happen at the right time
- Rendering images, creating sprite sheets, and building basic animations
- Using tile maps to build large game worlds from small reusable images
- Creating fire, explosions, smoke, sparks, and other organic effects
- Delivering great sound via OpenAL and the iPhone’s media player
- Providing game control via iPhone’s touch and accelerometer features
- Crafting an effective, intuitive game interface
- Building game objects and entities and making them work properly
- Detecting collisions and ensuring the right response to them
- Polishing, testing, debugging, and performance-tuning your game
Learning iOS Game Programming focuses on the features, concepts, and techniques you’ll use most often—and helps you master them in a real-world context. This book is 100% useful and 100% practical; there’s never been an iPhone game development book like it!
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: