GIS (geographic information system) is a totally cool technologythat has been called “geography on steroids.” GIS iswhat lets you see the schools in your neighborhood or tells youwhere the nearest McDonald’s is. GIS For Dummies tellsyou all about mapping terminology and digital mapping, how tolocate geographic features and analyze patterns such as streets andwaterways, and how to generate travel directions, customer locationlists, and much more with GIS.
Whether you’re in charge of creating GIS applications foryour business or you simply love maps, you’ll find GIS ForDummies is packed with information. For example, you can:
- Learn all the hardware and software necessary to collect,analyze, and manipulate GIS data
- Explore the difference between 2D and 3D maps, create a map, ormanage multiple maps
- Analyze patterns that appear in maps and interpret theresults
- Measure distance in absolute, comparative, and functionalways
- Recognize how spatial factors relate to geographic data
- Discover how GIS is used in business, the military, cityplanning, emergency services, land management, and more
- Find out how GIS can help you find out where flooding mayoccur
- Determine what your organization needs, do appropriateanalyses, and actually plan and design a GIS system
You’ll find dozens of applications for GIS queries andanalyses, and even learn to create animated GIS output. Whetheryour goal is to implement a GIS or just have fun, GIS ForDummies will get you there!
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials arenot included as part of eBook file.
Read This On
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: