Thirty years in the making, this revised text by three of the world's leading mathematicians covers the dynamical aspects of ordinary differential equations. it explores the relations between dynamical systems and certain fields outside pure mathematics, and has become the standard textbook for graduate courses in this area. The Second Edition now brings students to the brink of contemporary research, starting from a background that includes only calculus and elementary linear algebra.
The authors are tops in the field of advanced mathematics, including Steve Smale who is a recipient of the Field's Medal for his work in dynamical systems.
* Developed by award-winning researchers and authors
* Provides a rigorous yet accessible introduction to differential equations and dynamical systems
* Includes bifurcation theory throughout
* Contains numerous explorations for students to embark upon
NEW IN THIS EDITION
* New contemporary material and updated applications
* Revisions throughout the text, including simplification of many theorem hypotheses
* Many new figures and illustrations
* Simplified treatment of linear algebra
* Detailed discussion of the chaotic behavior in the Lorenz attractor, the Shil'nikov systems, and the double scroll attractor
* Increased coverage of discrete dynamical systems
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: