"What do you have to be depressed about?" Bet you've heard that onebefore. Or how about, "You're depressed? Just get over it!" Easiersaid than done, right? Or here's a favorite, "They have a pill forthat now, you know."
Unfortunately, such naïve armchair psychology rarely worksfor someone suffering from the very real plight of depression. Allit does is seek to trivialize depression and characterize depressedpeople as "whiners" who have nothing better to do than to "complainabout their lives." But the truth is, depression is a very realproblem. In fact, the World Health Organization estimates that, onany given day, 121 million people worldwide suffer from depression.And depression rates continue to increase – forexample, kids exhibit depression at nearly ten times the rate ofprevious generations. Theories abound as to why depression ratesare increasing, but regardless of the cause, this scourge continuesto rob its victims of happiness, joy, and the capacity to give andreceive love.
So why Depression For Dummies, when there's already aglut of self-help books on the market peddling so-called cures andremedies for depression? Because this book satisfies the need for astraight-talking, no-nonsense resource on depression. The onlyagenda of Depression For Dummies is to present you with thefacts on depression and explain the options for dealing with it.Rest assured, this is no infomercial in a yellow and blackcover.
Here's just a sampling of what you'll find in Depression ForDummies:
- Demystifying the types of depression
- Discovering what goes on in the body of a depressed person
- Detecting and diagnosing depression
- Seeking help through therapy and medication
- Modifying depressed behavior and solving life's headaches
- Dealing with depression resulting from grief and relationshipissues
- Cutting through the hype of alternative treatments fordepression
- Moving beyond depression: Avoiding relapses and pursuing ahappy life
- Top Ten lists on getting rid of a your bad mood and helpingyour kids and other family members out of depression
So, whatever your level of depression – whetheryou suffer from occasional bouts or you find yourself seriouslydebilitated by depression – Depression ForDummies can give you the insight and tools you need to onceagain find enjoyment and happiness in life. All it takes is onestep.
Read This On
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: