The aim of this book's authors (an architect, a historian and a philologist) is to attempt to remove the shroud of anonymity from the medieval monuments of architecture in the territory of Transylvania and to highlight them. We are firmly conviced that since they belong to the universal heritage of humanity, they need to be better known and benefit from a coherent program of permanent protection. It is the first time that a coherent and systematic blending of image and real historical information pertaining to the domains of architecture, history, geography, toponymy and tourism was achieved for the castles and fortresses from the Transylvanian county of Cluj.
The book covers almost every aspect regarding 27 castles and fortresses, including:
- architecture (building types and chronology of styles, layouts, space composition, methods of construction, materials used, reconstitution proposals).
- history (exploring, examining and analysing past events and presenting coherent information about them).
- geography (places and regions where these buildings were erected, including the study of the relationship between man and land).
- tourism (11 routes, tourist information about the sights).
- toponymy (the study of place names in different languages).
- literature (legends about castles and fortresses presented in a folktale form).
- complete list of the rulers of Transylvania.
- glossary of terms and bibliography.
- 154 photographs with explanations, map and reconstitutions.
Read This On
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: