Regarded as one of the most difficult languages to learn for nativeEnglish speakers by the U.S. State Department, Arabic is gainingboth prominence and importance in America. Recent world events havebrought more and more Americans and other English speakers intocontact with Arabic-speaking populations, and governments andbusinesses are increasingly aware of the importance of basic Arabiclanguage skills. Arabic for Dummies provides you with apainless and fun way to start communicating in Arabic.
Why should you learn Arabic? Well, besides the fact that over200 million people in more than 22 nations use it to communicate,there are tons of reasons to get up to speed this 1,400 year oldlanguage, including:
- Nearly all of the Middle-East speaks Arabic or one of itsdialects
- Basic Arabic skills are extremely useful for anyone travelingto, doing business in, or serving in the Middle East
- It is the language in which the Koran is written
- There is a rich, centuries-old literary tradition inArabic
Arabic For Dummies presents the language in the classic,laid-back For Dummies style. Taking a relaxed approach to thisdifficult language, it’s packed with practice dialogues andcommunication tips that will have you talking the talk in no time.You’ll get the scoop on:
- The Arabic alphabet, pronunciation, basic grammar, and therules of transliteration
- The history of the language and information on classical Arabicand its dialects
- How to make small talk and make yourself understood whendining, shopping, or traveling around town
- How to communicate on the phone and in businessconversations
- Handy words and phrases for dealing with money, directions,hotels, transportation, and emergencies
- Arabic culture and etiquette, including ten things you shouldnever do in Arabic countries
The book also includes an Arabic-English dictionary, verbtables, and an audio CD with dialogues from the book to help youperfect your pronunciation. Written by a native Arabic speaker whohelped start a year-round Arabic department at Middlebury College,Arabic For Dummies is just what you need to start makingyourself understood in Arabic.
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials arenot included as part of eBook file.
Read This On
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: