“Mario Hewardt’s Advanced .NET Debugging is an excellent resource for both beginner and experienced developers working with .NET. The book is also packed with many debugging tips and discussions of CLR internals, which will benefit developers architecting software.”
–Jeffrey Richter, consultant, trainer, and author at Wintellect
“Mario has done it again. His Advanced Windows Debugging (coauthored with Daniel Pravat) is an invaluable resource for native code debugging, and Advanced .NET Debugging achieves the same quality, clarity, and breadth to make it just as invaluable for .NET debugging.”
–Mark Russinovich, Technical Fellow, Microsoft Corporation
The Only Complete, Practical Guide to Fixing the Toughest .NET Bugs
Advanced .NET Debugging is the first focused, pragmatic guide to tracking down today’s most complex and challenging .NET application bugs. It is the only book to focus entirely on using powerful native debugging tools, including WinDBG, NTSD, and CDB, to debug .NET applications. Using these tools, author Mario Hewardt explains how to identify the real root causes of problems—far more quickly than you ever could with other debuggers.
Hewardt first introduces the key concepts needed to successfully use .NET’s native debuggers. Next, he turns to sophisticated debugging techniques, using real-world examples that demonstrate many common C# programming errors.
This book enables you to
- Make practical use of postmortem debugging, including PowerDBG and other “power tools”
- Understand the debugging details and implications of the new .NET CLR 4.0
- Master and successfully use Debugging Tools for Windows, as well as SOS, SOSEX, CLR Profiler, and other powerful tools
- Gain a deeper, more practical understanding of CLR internals, such as examining thread-specific data, managed heap and garbage collector, interoperability layer, and .NET exceptions
- Solve difficult synchronization problems, managed heap problems, interoperability problems, and much more
- Generate and successfully analyze crash dumps
A companion web site (advanceddotnetdebugging.com) contains all sample code, examples, and bonus content.
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: