The Guided Reader for Secondary English draws on extracts from the published work of some of the most influential education writers to provide insight, guidance and clarity about key issues affecting Secondary English teachers.
The book brings together key extracts from classic and contemporary writing and contextualises these in both theoretical and practical terms. The extracts are accompanied by a summary of the key ideas and issues raised, questions to promote discussion and reflective practice, and annotated further reading lists to extend thinking.
Taking a thematic approach and including a short introduction to each theme, the chapters cover:
- Theoretical models of curricular English
- The nature and structure of the Secondary School English curriculum
- Historical perspectives
- Texts and intertextuality
- The arts context for secondary English
- Assessment and evaluation
- Linguistic and cultural contexts
- Future possibilities and tensions
Aimed at trainee and newly qualified teachers including those working towards Masters level qualifications, as well as existing teachers, this accessible, but critically provocative text will be an essential resource for those that wish to deepen their understanding of Secondary English Education.
Read This On
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: