PART I: The Beginnings: Prehistory to 1333
1. Zen Culture and the Counter Mind
2. The Prelude to Zen Culture
3. The Rise of Japanese Buddhism
4. The Chronicles of Zen
5. Zen Archery and Swordsmanship
PART II: The Age of High Culture: Ashikaga (1333-1573)
6. The Great Age of Zen
7. Zen and the Landscape Garden
8. The Stone Gardens of Zen
9. Zen and the Ink Landscape
10. The Zen Aesthetics of Japanese Architecture
11. The No Theater
PART III: The Rise of Popular Zen Culture: 1573 to the Present
12. Bourgeois Society and Later Zen
13. The Tea Ceremony
14. Zen Ceramic Art
15. Zen and Haiku
16. Private Zen: Flowers and Food
17. The Lessons of Zen Culture
Ratings and Reviews
Be the first to rate and review this book!
You've already shared your review for this item. Thanks!
We are currently reviewing your submission. Thanks!
by Thomas Hoover
Share your thoughts
Tell readers what you thought by rating and reviewing this book.
Rate it *
Please make sure to choose a rating
Add a review* Required
How to write a great review
- Say what you liked best and least
- Describe the author's style
- Explain the rating you gave
- Use rude and profane language
- Include any personal information
- Mention spoilers or the book's price
- Recap the plot
(0) 50 characters minimum
The review must be at least 50 characters long.
The title should be at least 4 characters long.
Display Name *
Your display name should be at least 2 characters long.
Report a review
Would you like us to take another look at this review?
You've successfully reported this review. We appreciate your feedback.
by Thomas Hoover
Thanks for Sharing!
by on October 25, 2016
- Zhingoora Books, April 2013
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: