Sinking of the Titanic
Published only months after the disaster and sold as a “Memorial Edition,” this is one of the most sensationalistic early books about the sinking of the Titanic. It contains a multitude of survivor accounts, taken from newspaper stories, personal interviews, and reports of the Senate investigation. Much of the early reporting – for example, that the Titanic exploded and broke in two before she sank – is now known to be untrue, but the raw horror of the disaster remains in the rush and jumble of the survivors’ own words. There are also unique accounts not reported elsewhere, including a comparison to the cowardly behavior of passengers and crew during the Bourgogne disaster, a chapter on the gruesome task of the “funeral ship” Mackay-Bennett, and the initial story of Lady Duff-Gordon, who was later pilloried by the “yellow press.”
This ebook edition features:
• 37 photographs and illustrations from the first edition
• Active table of contents and reflowable text
• Part of the Titanic Landmark Series – republishing eyewitness accounts of the Titanic
Table of Contents:
• Great Marine Disasters from 1866 to 1911.
• I. From a Day of Delight to Death.
• II. Heart-Rending Scenes on Carpathia.
• III. Band Played to the Last.
• IV. Neglect Caused Disaster.
• V. Believed Ship Unsinkable.
• VI. How Survivors Escaped.
• VII. Woman’s Thrilling Narrative.
• VIII. Survivors’ Stirring Stories.
• IX. How Astor Went to Death.
• X. Notable Woman Saved.
• XI. Major Butt, Martyr to Duty.
• XII. Mrs. Astor’s Bravery.
• XIII. Lifeboats Bunglingly Handled.
• XIV. Not Like Bourgogne Disaster.
• XV. Boy’s Desperate Fight for Life.
• XVI. Carpathia to the Rescue.
• XVII. Refused to Leave Husband.
• XVIII. Lady Duff-Gordon’s Experiences.
• XIX. Senators Hear Startling Stories.
• XX. Surviving Operator’s Experiences.
• XXI. The Funeral Ship and its Dead.
• XXII. Inquiry by United States Senate.
• Committee’s Report.
• List of Titanic Passengers Missing and Rescued.
- Tales End Press, August 2012
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: