Long Way on a Little: An Earth Lover’s Companion for Enjoying Meat, Pinching Pennies, and Living Deliciously
“Every earth-conscious home cook who wishes to nourish his or her family with sustainable, local, grassfed and pastured meats should be able to do so, regardless of income,”argues Shannon Hayes. “We just have to change how we’re eating.” In her largest, most comprehensive volume to-date, North America’s leading authority on grassfed meat examines the conundrum of maintaining a healthy, affordable and ecologically conscious meat-based diet, while simultaneously paying America’s small sustainable farmers a fair price.
The core reference for any home cook, Long Way on a Little is packed with Hayes’ signature delicious no-fail recipes for perfect roasts and steaks cooked indoors and out on the grill, easy-to-follow techniques to make use of the less-conventional, inexpensive cuts that often go to waste, tips on stretching a sustainable food budget, and an extensive section on using leftovers and creating soups. Written with her accessible style and engaging wit, Long Way on a Little not only helps home cooks make the most effective and economical use of their locally raised livestock, it also delivers a practical understanding of the role of livestock in rebuilding a sustainable society.
While addressing the topic of making local food more affordable, Hayes also frankly grapples with tough health issues confronting so many Americans today, from diabetes to grain, dairy and gluten intolerance. The result is family-pleasing, nutrient-dense, affordable cuisine that is a joy to prepare, rich in authentic flavor, and steeped in the wisdom of the world’s greatest culinary traditions. She has served up an illustrative and thought-provoking guide that is as stimulating to the mind as it is to the palate.
- Recipes for cooking all major cuts of grassfed and pastured meats indoors and out on the grill
- Carbohydrate counts on all recipes for low carb and diabetic diets
- Guide to Grain-free, Legume-free, Dairy-free and Paleo-friendly recipes
- Full-color insert illustrating fundamental techniques for working with whole animals: from grilling steaks and rendering fat, to making soap, salve, candles and more
- Extensive section on soups and leftovers
- Lively, up-to-date discussions of current issues pertaining to sustainable livestock farming in North America
- Money-saving tips for making delicious meals go as far as possible
- Left to Write Press, January 2013
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: