Lives of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence
The fifty-six signers of America's Declaration of Independence risked their “lives, fortunes, and sacred honor” to found a new country. In this clazzic work, Benson J. Lossing describes the lives of each of the founding fathers, their greatest achievements, and what impelled them to take such an incredible risk. While some are well known to us – Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock – much of the pleasure in this book comes from reading about the lesser-known signers, and about the many challenges they faced throughout their lives in the young United States. Appendices contain Thomas Jefferson's original version of the Declaration, an analysis of its grievances, the subsequent Articles of Confederation and US Constitution, and the offending Stamp Act. This ebook edition includes an active table of contents, reflowable text, and 50 period engravings of the faces and signatures of the signers.
Table of Contents:
• New Hampshire: Josiah Bartlett, William Whipple, Matthew Thornton.
• Massachusetts: John Hancock, John Adams, Samuel Adams, Robert Treat Paine.
• Rhode Island: Elbridge Gerry, Stephen Hopkins, William Ellery.
• Connecticut: Roger Sherman, Samuel Huntington, William Williams, Oliver Wolcott.
• New York: William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Francis Lewis, Lewis Morris.
• New Jersey: Richard Stockton, John Witherspoon, Francis Hopkinson, John Hart, Abraham Clark.
• Pennsylvania: Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, John Morton, George Clymer, James Smith, George Taylor, James Wilson, George Ross.
• Delaware: Caesar Rodney, George Read, Thomas McKean.
• Maryland: Samuel Chase, Thomas Stone, William Paca, Charles Carroll, of Carrollton.
• Virginia: George Wythe, Richard Henry Lee, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Harrison, Thomas Nelson, Jr., Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton.
• North Carolina: William Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn.
• South Carolina: Edward Rutledge, Thomas Heyward, Jr., Thomas Lynch, Jr., Arthur Middleton.
• Georgia: Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, George Walton.
• Robert R. Livingston, (of New York, not a signer).
• The Declaration of Independence.
• Articles of Confederation.
• The Federal Constitution.
• The Stamp Act.
• Names of Delegates to the Constitutional Convention.
Skip this list
Works Of Abraham Lincoln: Includes Inaugural Addresses, State Of The Union Addresses, Cooper's Union Speech, Gettysburg Address, House Divided Speech, Proclamation Of Amnesty, The Emancipation Proclamation And More (Mobi Collected Works)
History of the Negro Race in America from 1619 to 1880: Volume 1 (Illustrated)
George W. Williams
A Compilation of the Messages and Papers of the Presidents: Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson,James Richardson
A Social History of the American Negro: Being a History of the Negro Problem in the United States Including A History and Study of the Republic of Liberia
Benjamin Griffith Brawley
The Revolutionary War (War of American Independence): Timeline of the American Revolution, Featuring the Content of Original Documents by George Washington, Continental Congress, Thomas Paine, Others
History of the Origin, Formation, and Adoption of the Constitution of the United States, Vol. 1 - With Notices of its Principle Framers - The Original Classic Edition
George Ticknor Curtis
The American Revolution and the Young Republic
Britannica Educational Publishing,Wallenfeldt,Jeff
The Debate on the Constitution Part 2: Federalist and Antifederalist Speeches
The Wonderful Story of Washington - and the Meaning of His Life for the Youth and Patriotism of America - The Original Classic Edition
Charles M. Stevens
The Abolition Crusade And Its Consequences - Four Periods Of American History
Hilary A. Herbert
The Debate on the Constitution Part 1: Federalist and Antifederalist Speeches
James Otis, the pre-revolutionist
John Clark Ridpath,Charles Keyser Edmunds,Graeme Mercer Adam
- Tales End Press, August 2012
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: