A Hands-On Guide to Building iOS Games with Cocos2D, Box2D, and Chipmunk
- List Price$35.99
- Your price$28.79
Save $7.20 (20% off) and earn Kobo Super Points!
You'll see how many points you'll earn before checking out. We'll award them after completing your purchase.
Or, get it for 15200 Kobo Super Points!
See if you have enough points for this eBook. Sign in
Build the Next Great iOS Game with Cocos2D!
Cocos2D is the powerhouse framework behind some of the most popular games in the App Store. If you’ve played Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Mega Jump, Trainyard, or even Super Turbo Action Pig, then you’ve played a game that uses Cocos2D or Box2D physics. The beauty of Cocos2D is its simplicity. It’s easy to become overwhelmed when you start developing an iOS game, especially if you look at things like OpenGL ES, OpenAL, and other lower level APIs. Writing a game for the iPhone and iPad does not have to be that difficult, and Cocos2D makes game development fun and easy.
Learning Cocos2D walks you through the process of building Space Viking (which is free on the App Store), a 2D scrolling game that leverages Cocos2D, Box2D, and Chipmunk. As you build Space Viking, you’ll learn everything you need to know about Cocos2D so you can create the next killer iOS game.
Download the free version of Space Viking from the App Store today! Help Ole find his way home while learning how to build the game.
As you build Space Viking, you’ll learn how to
- Install and configure Cocos2D so it works with Xcode 4
- Build a complete 2D action adventure game with Cocos2D
- Add animations and movement to your games
- Build your game’s main menu screen for accessing levels
- Use Cocos2D’s Scheduler to make sure the right events happen at the right times
- Use tile maps to build scrolling game levels from reusable images
- Add audio and sound effects with CocosDenshion—Cocos2D’s sound engine
- Add gravity, realistic collisions, and even ragdoll effects with Box2D and Chipmunk physics engines
- Add amazing effects to your games with particle systems
- Leverage Game Center in your game for achievements and leader boards
- Squeeze the most performance from your games along with tips and tricks
Ratings and Reviews
Be the first to rate and review this book!
You've already shared your review for this item. Thanks!
We are currently reviewing your submission. Thanks!
by Rod Strougo,Ray Wenderlich
Share your thoughts
Tell readers what you thought by rating and reviewing this book.
Rate it *
Please make sure to choose a rating
Add a review* Required
How to write a great review
- Say what you liked best and least
- Describe the author's style
- Explain the rating you gave
- Use rude and profane language
- Include any personal information
- Mention spoilers or the book's price
- Recap the plot
(0) 50 characters minimum
The review must be at least 50 characters long.
The title should be at least 4 characters long.
Display Name *
Your display name should be at least 2 characters long.
Report a review
At Kobo, we try to ensure that published reviews do not contain rude or profane language, spoilers, or any of our reviewer's personal information.
Would you like us to take another look at this review?
You've successfully reported this review. We appreciate your feedback.
by Rod Strougo,Ray Wenderlich
Thanks for Sharing!
You submitted the following rating and review. We'll publish them on our site once we've reviewed them.
by on October 24, 2016
- Pearson Education, July 2011
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: