Exploring Talk in School
Inspired by the Work of Douglas Barnes
- List Price$51.00
- Your price$45.89
Save $5.11 (10% off) and earn Kobo Super Points!
You'll see how many points you'll earn before checking out. We'll award them after completing your purchase.
Or, get it for 21200 Kobo Super Points!
See if you have enough points for this eBook. Sign in
Selected as an Outstanding Academic Title by Choice Magazine, January 2010
Classroom talk, by which children make sense of what their peers and teachers mean, is the most important educational tool for guiding the development of understanding and for jointly constructing knowledge. So what practical steps can teachers take to develop effective classroom interaction?
Bringing together leading international researchers and drawing on the pioneering work of Douglas Barnes, this book considers ways of improving classroom talk. Chapters cover:
- classroom communication and managing social relations;
- talk in science classrooms;
- using critical conversations in studying literature;
- exploratory talk and thinking skills;
- talking to learn and learning to talk in the mathematics classroom;
- the 'emerging pedagogy' of the spoken word.
With an accessible blend of theory, research and practice, the book will be a valuable resource for teachers, teacher-trainers, policy makers, researchers and students.
- SAGE Publications, September 2008
SAGE Publications Ltd
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: