Everyday Probability and Statistics
Health, Elections, Gambling and War
- List Price$34.00
- Your price$30.59
Save $3.41 (10% off) and earn Kobo Super Points!
You'll see how many points you'll earn before checking out. We'll award them after completing your purchase.
Or, get it for 14400 Kobo Super Points!
See if you have enough points for this eBook. Sign in
Probability and statistics impinge on the life of the average person in a variety of ways — as is suggested by the title of this book. Very often, information is provided that is factually accurate but intended to present a biased view. This book presents the important results of probability and statistics without making heavy mathematical demands on the reader. It should enable an intelligent reader to properly assess statistical information and to understand that the same information can be presented in different ways.Contents:
- The Nature of Probability
- Combining Probabilities
- A Day at the Races
- Making Choices and Selections
- Non-Intuitive Examples of Probability
- Probability and Health
- Combining Probabilities, The Craps Game Revealed
- The UK National Lottery, Loaded Dice and Crooked Wheels
- Block Diagrams
- The Normal (or Gaussian) Distribution
- Statistics — The Collection and Analysis of Numerical Data
- The Poisson Distribution and Death by Horse Kicks
- Predicting Voting Patterns
- Taking Samples — How Many Fish in the Pond?
- Differences — Rats and IQs
- Crime is Increasing and Decreasing
- My Uncle Joe Smoked 60 a Day
- Chance, Luck and Making Decisions
Readership: Undergraduate students in mathematics; general public interested in probability and statistics.
- Imperial College Press, April 2008
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: