A Retrospect on the Dust-Laden History
The Past and Present of Tekong Island in Singapore
- List Price$22.00
- Your price$20.89
Save $1.11 (5% off) and earn Kobo Super Points!
You'll see how many points you'll earn before checking out. We'll award them after completing your purchase.
Or, get it for 9600 Kobo Super Points!
See if you have enough points for this eBook. Sign in
Chen Poh Seng's great grandfather lived in Pulau Tekong, his 50-over cousins were born and educated there. He lived in Changi Point which is 30 minutes away by ferry.
Lee Leong Sze is a Malaysian, graduated from the Department of History, National Chong Hsing University, Taiwan, obtained PhD in Singapore. Two researchers met in August 2005. They shared the same interest in studying the history of Pulau Tekong. During the study, they had full support and encouragement from former residents.
The book describes how Pulau Tekong Island developed during the early 20th century. It describes where the ethnic groups came from, how they settled down, worked and lived together, and the relationship among different ethnic groups, like the Malay and Chinese (including Hakka and Chouchouese) over the years. Finally, the book finds out how and why the villages vanished. The final chapter outlines the outstanding citizens from Pulau Tekong and reviews how they merged with the main stream of Singapore society after leaving the offshore island.Contents:
- From Desolation to Prosperity:
- Development of Villages
- Life in Villages
- Composition and Relationship of Ethnic Groups:
- Ethnic Structure on Tekong Island
- Relationship Between Chinese and Malays
- Ethnic Relationship within Chinese
- The Impact of World War II:
- Influence of World War II on Tekong Island
- Tekong Island Under British Government and Self-Governance
- The 1960s: A Period of Change
- The Development of Tekong Island:
- Tekong Island Under Singapore's Development
- The Disappearance of Villages on Tekong Island
- The Achievements of Former Residents of Tekong Island
Readership: Student, professional, general public.
- World Scientific Publishing Company, December 2011
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: