"This is an outstanding book. It is one of only a few scholarly texts that successfully combine a nuanced theoretical understanding of the digital age with empirical case studies of contemporary media culture. The scope is impressive, ranging from questions of digital inequality to emergent forms of cyberpolitics."
- Nick Gane, York University
"Well written, very up-to-date with a good balance of examples and theory. It's good to have all the major issues covered in one book."
- Peter Millard, Portsmouth University
"This is just the text I was looking for to enable first year undergraduates to develop their critical understanding of the technologies they have embedded so completely in their lives."
- Chris Simpson, University College of St Mark & St John
This is more than just another book on Internet studies. Tracing the pervasive influence of 'digital culture' throughout contemporary life, this text integrates socio-economic understandings of the 'information society' with the cultural studies approach to production, use, and consumption of digital media and multimedia.
Refreshingly readable and packed with examples from profiling databases and mashups to cybersex and the truth about social networking, Understanding Digital Culture:
- Crosses disciplines to give a balanced account of the social, economic and cultural dimensions of the information society.
- Illuminates the increasing importance of mobile, wireless and converged media technologies in everyday life.
- Unpacks how the information society is transforming and challenging traditional notions of crime, resistance, war and protest, community, intimacy and belonging.
- Charts the changing cultural forms associated with new media and its consumption, including music, gaming, microblogging and online identity.
- Illustrates the above through a series of contemporary, in-depth case studies of digital culture.
This is the perfect text for students looking for a full account of the information society, virtual cultures, sociology of the Internet and new media.
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: