An excellent book in every way ... Best of all, the book is accessible to early readers. Superb coverage of a popular sport.
--School library Journal (starred review)
This indispensable guide is simply the best book for beginners to the sport of artistic gymnastics. Illustrated with stunning full-color photographs of gymnasts balancing, tumbling and jumping, The Gymnastics Book features skilled guidance from a medal-winning, record-breaking gymnast who is now a noted instructor.
The topics covered in detail include:
- Finding a good gymnastics club
- Qualities to look for in a coach
- Warm-up and cool-down exercises
- Entering competitive gymnastics
- Managing victories and losses
- The importance of family and friends
- Nutrition and apparel
- Financial aspects
- A typical day of training for competition.
The book is also filled with anecdotes and advice from Olympic stars, taking beginners behind the scenes and offering a no-holds-barred account of life as a competitive gymnast. New gymnasts featured include:
- Shallon Olsen: At just 11 years old she ranked first overall in her age category. She now has the 2016 Olympics games in her sights.
- Kyle Shewfelt: To date, Kyle is the only Olympic Gold Medalist (2004, Athens) from Canada.
- Emily Boycott: A Special Olympics athlete and 27 years old, her team took home five gold medals from the 2007 Beijing Olympics.
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: