Get to grips with the good, the bad and the ugly of Australian politics! Whether you're a seasoned political punter or a voting novice, this is your essential guide to understanding politics in Australia. Master the ins and outs of elections, parties and policies, and learn to discuss the big issues in no time. You have to vote - now learn why and how.
- Decipher political terminology - clear explanations of the houses of parliament, voting systems and more
- Learn how Australia's political system evolved - how Westminster and Washington were combined to produce â€˜Washminster'
- Appreciate parliamentary roles - what the Whips do and just what the Usher of the Black Rod is
- Find out who holds the purse strings - how federal and state governments work out who pays for what
- Understand how political parties work - the differences between Labor and Liberal, and what coalition politics is
- Discover what's meant by the balance of power - how minor parties and independents contribute to politics
- Determine how your vote is counted - the difference between preferential voting and proportional representation
- Work out the media's role - how the media reports, interprets and sways political outcomes
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: