The Best Friends Approach to Dementia Care, Second Edition
Successfully implement this relationship-centered approach to dementia care that builds on the essential elements of friendship—respect, empathy, support, trust, and humor.
For decades the acclaimed Best Friends™ approach has been widely recognized for helping people with Alzheimer’s and other dementias experience meaningful engagement and dignity in all aspects of their lives. In this completely revised and expanded second edition, care partners learn how to apply the core principles of the approach through practical tips and instructive examples of Best Friends in action. An all-new section also provides a roadmap for creating and sustaining a Best Friends program.
Become familiar with:
• The building blocks of the approach, including the Dementia Bill of Rights and the concept of relationship-centered care
• The core tenets of Best Friends: Life Story, skilled communication, and caregiving Knack
• New approaches to minimizing challenging behaviors and creating activities to promote engagement
• How to use Best Friends in a variety of care settings
• Effective ways to involve families and volunteers
Make each day reassuring, enjoyable, and secure for the people in your care with this simple, compassionate approach to dementia care.
“ . . . full of contemporary best practices and practical tips for successfully navigating the challenges of dementia care, [this book] will be a valuable resource for our staff as we encourage relationships and meaningful activities to create a successful day.”
—Tom Alaimo, VP, Memory Care Operations (Life Guidance®), Atria Senior Living
“The Best Friends philosophy, rich in relationships and engagement, and respectful of human rights, provides a lasting foundation for dementia friendly communities and quality care.”
—Marc Wortmann, Executive Director, Alzheimer’s Disease International
“The Best Friends™ philosophy has changed the face of dementia over the last two decades.”
—Amelia Schafer, VP of Programs, Alzheimer’s Association, Colorado Chapter
- Health Professions Press, Inc., November 2016
Health Professions Press, Inc.
- Download options:
- EPUB 3 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: