- List Price$99.95
- Your price$89.99
Save $9.96 (10% off) and earn Kobo Super Points!
You'll see how many points you'll earn before checking out. We'll award them after completing your purchase.
Or, get it for 40800 Kobo Super Points!
See if you have enough points for this eBook. Sign in
Designed for advanced undergraduate students, graduate students, and environmental professionals, this book builds upon the tremendous success of the previous editions with a comprehensive and up-to-date discussion of environmental microbiology as a discipline that has greatly expanded in scope and interest over the past several decades. From terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems to urban and indoor environments, this edition relates environmental microbiology to a variety of life science, ecology, and environmental science topics including biogeochemical cycling, bioremediation, environmental transmission of pathogens, microbial risk assessment, and drinking water treatment and reuse. The final chapter highlights several emerging issues including microbial remediation of marine oil spills, microbial contributions to global warming, impact of climate change on microbial infectious disease, and the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
New chapters on:
- Microbial Diversity and Interactions in Natural Ecosystems (previous chapter on bacterial diversity expanded to include microbial ecology and interactions)
- Bioinformation and ‘Omic’ Approaches for Characterization of Environmental Microorganisms
- Microbial Source Tracking
- Land Application of Organic Residuals: Municipal Biosolids and Animal Manures
- Recycled Water Treatment and Reuse
- Global Emerging Microbial Issues in the Anthropocene Era
Updates to Other Chapters:
- Cultural Methods: new cutting-edge approaches for isolating difficult-to-culture microorganisms
- Nucleic Acid-Based Methods: new text and graphics for a variety of methods including microarrays, quantitative PCR, and metagenomics
- Aquatic Environments: completely revised chapter
- Microorganisms and Metal Pollutants: new material on metal speciation and bioremediation
- Microorganisms and Organic Pollutants: updated discussion on anaerobic degradation of halogenated compounds and bioaugmentation-based remediation of contaminated groundwater
- Microbial Communication: new sections on bacterial communication with eukaryotic hosts
- New graphics, case studies, and information boxes throughout
- Introductory chapters provide foundational background in microbiology, microbial environments, and methodologies
- Presents state-of-the-art research results with key, recent references to document information
- Emphasizes critical information using "Information Boxes" throughout
- Includes real-world case studies to illustrate concepts, along with frequent use of graphics, cartoons and photographs
- Offers questions at the end of each chapter designed to test key concepts
- Lecture slides available for instructors online
Ratings and Reviews
Be the first to rate and review this book!
You've already shared your review for this item. Thanks!
We are currently reviewing your submission. Thanks!
Share your thoughts
Tell readers what you thought by rating and reviewing this book.
Rate it *
Please make sure to choose a rating
Add a review* Required
How to write a great review
- Say what you liked best and least
- Describe the author's style
- Explain the rating you gave
- Use rude and profane language
- Include any personal information
- Mention spoilers or the book's price
- Recap the plot
(0) 50 characters minimum
The review must be at least 50 characters long.
The title should be at least 4 characters long.
Display Name *
Your display name should be at least 2 characters long.
Report a review
At Kobo, we try to ensure that published reviews do not contain rude or profane language, spoilers, or any of our reviewer's personal information.
Would you like us to take another look at this review?
You've successfully reported this review. We appreciate your feedback.
Thanks for Sharing!
You submitted the following rating and review. We'll publish them on our site once we've reviewed them.
by on October 01, 2016
- Elsevier Science, March 2014
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: