Information Access and Services for Virtual Users
- List Price$49.95
- Your price$44.99
Save $4.96 (10% off) and earn Kobo Super Points!
You'll see how many points you'll earn before checking out. We'll award them after completing your purchase.
Or, get it for 20800 Kobo Super Points!
See if you have enough points for this eBook. Sign in
The demand for and technology needed to create effective distance learning programs are increasing at a breakneck pace. Is your institution keeping up?
As educators, information professionals are faced with the challenge of providing Web-based library instructional materials in a time of ever-changing technologies. This book will help you address that daunting challenge, examining ways to assess user needs, to develop and offer well-thought-out information literacy courses, to employ appropriate teaching methodologies, and to determine the effectiveness of existing information literacy programs.
With Distance Learning: Information Access and Services for Virtual Users, you will examine:
- the evolution and significance of asynchronous learning networks (ALN) and various issues in ALN, including cost, faculty and technology requirements, the nature of the learning community, social presence, and collaborative environment
- virtual reference services, including electronic journals, subject directories, the invisible Web, and search engines
- the criteria for evaluating search results
- the role played by consortia and cooperative efforts in facilitating user access to library resources
- a review of selected literature addressing user characteristics and service/staff issues involved in providing information support for distance education
- the strategies, technologies, and pedagogical issues surrounding the development of Web-based library instruction tools-includes Web page design, copyright issues, Web site maintenance, and usability
- the award-winning online information literacy course developed at Ulster County Community College in New York-its development, course modules, and administrative challenges
- the library support services provided to distance learning students in the SUNY Plattsburg Telenursing Program
- the influence of cultural factors on interactions within and perceptions of distance education
Ratings and Reviews
Be the first to rate and review this book!
You've already shared your review for this item. Thanks!
We are currently reviewing your submission. Thanks!
by Hemalata Iyer
Share your thoughts
Tell readers what you thought by rating and reviewing this book.
Rate it *
Please make sure to choose a rating
Add a review* Required
How to write a great review
- Say what you liked best and least
- Describe the author's style
- Explain the rating you gave
- Use rude and profane language
- Include any personal information
- Mention spoilers or the book's price
- Recap the plot
(0) 50 characters minimum
The review must be at least 50 characters long.
The title should be at least 4 characters long.
Display Name *
Your display name should be at least 2 characters long.
Report a review
At Kobo, we try to ensure that published reviews do not contain rude or profane language, spoilers, or any of our reviewer's personal information.
Would you like us to take another look at this review?
You've successfully reported this review. We appreciate your feedback.
by Hemalata Iyer
Thanks for Sharing!
You submitted the following rating and review. We'll publish them on our site once we've reviewed them.
by on October 22, 2016
- Taylor and Francis, October 2012
- Download options:
- EPUB 2 (Adobe DRM)
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: