Here, translated into modern English, are the works of literature, history, science, oratory, and philosophy that constitute the mainstream of classical Greek thought and continue to influence world civilizations. This volume includes:
· Complete translations of Aeschylus' Agamemnon, Sophocles' Antigone, Euripides' Medea, Aristophanes' Frogs, and The Constitution of Athens by the "Old Oligarch."
· Abridged translations of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, The Homeric Hymn to Hermes, and Plutarch's Life of Tiberius Gracchus.
· Selections from Hesiod and Lucian; from twenty-eight lyric poets including Sappho, Pindar, and Meleagar; from the histories of Herodotus and Thucydides; and from eight Attic orators, including Isocrates and Demosthenes.
· Selections from the scientific writings of Hippocrates, Archimedes, and Galen.
· Selections from the pre-Socratic philosophers and from Plato, Aristotle, Epicurus, and Epictetus.
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: