Write modern, scalable, and reactive applications in Scala
About This Book
- Craft a completely reactive functional application from front end to back end
- Step-by-step instructions, examples, and hands-on practices designed to help you learn the key secrets and intricacies of Scala app development
- Comprehensive coverage of all the most popular tools in the Scala ecosystem
Who This Book Is For
If you are a Java or JVM developer who wants to use Scala to build reactive functional applications for the JVM platform, then this book is for you. Prior knowledge of Java or functional programing would help. No Scala knowledge is required.
What You Will Learn
- Use Akka to create a chat service for your app
- Equip yourself with the techniques and tools to build reports and build database persistence with Scala and Slick
- Develop a customer-facing Rest API that makes use of Scala and Spray
- Make use of the Scala web development principles and scale up the architecture of your application
- Get familiar with the core principles and concepts of Functional Programming
- Use the Play framework to create models, controllers, and views
- Develop reactive backing frameworks by writing code with RxScala
- Discover what proper testing entails with Scala using behavior-driven development
Scala is known for incorporating both object-oriented and functional programming into a concise and extremely powerful package. However, creating an app in Scala can get a little tricky because of the complexity. This book will help you dive straight into app development by creating a real, reactive, and functional application. We will provide you with practical examples and instructions using a hands-on approach that will give you a firm grounding in reactive functional principles.
The book will take you through all the fundamentals of app development within Scala as you build an application piece by piece. We've made sure to incorporate everything you need from setting up to building reports and scaling architecture. This book also covers the most useful tools available in the Scala ecosystem, such as Slick, Play, and Akka, and a whole lot more. It will help you unlock the secrets of building your own up-to-date Scala application while maximizing performance and scalability.
You can read this item using any of the following Kobo apps and devices: